cba_s0118_header.png
Home
Get Started Book Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
   2 Dec 07
   4 Dec 07
   20 Dec 07
   27 & 30 Dec 07
   24 & 26 Jan 08
   3 April 08
   10 Apr 08
   17 Apr 08
   2 May 08
   9 May 08
   6 June 08
   27 Jun 08
   5 Jul 08
   25 Jul 08
   16 Aug 08
   23 Aug 08
   12 Feb 09
   29 Jan 09
   15 May 09
   Easter 09
   21 May 09
   18 Jun 09
   29 & 30 Jun 09
   19th & 25th Sep 09
   9 July 09
   15 Oct 09
   29 Oct 09
   26 Nov 09
   11 Nov 09
   4 Dec 09
   17 Dec 09
   2 Jan 10
   23 Mar 10
   3 Jun 10
   12 - 17 Jun 10
   24 Jun - 1 Jul 10
   8 Jul - 5 Aug 10
   19 - 26 Aug 10
   2 & 9 Sep 10
   16 Sep - 8 Oct 10
   15 Oct - 19 Nov 10
   15-17 Dec 10
   Feb & 2-4 Mar 11
   17-20 Mar 11
   24 April 11
   5 May 11
   28-30 May 11
   11 Jun 11
   22-25 Jun 11
   30 Jun - 01 Jul 11
   8-15 Jul 11
      8-9 Jul 11
      12 Jul 11
      13 Jul 11
      14 Jul 11
      15 Jul 11
   26 Jul 11
   28-30 Jul 11
   01 & 09 Mar 2012
   19-20 May 2012
   25 May - 3 Jun 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012
   1-8 Jul 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012 cont...
   02 Aug 2013
   April 2016
   August 2016 Water Catch Work
Materials
Questions
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
Diary Time Out
Recipes
Earthship Living
Ethical Fashion Articles
Links
Books
Contact us
LDArt 2016 190.jpg


12 Jul 11

Cants and crickets

We've booked a friend to come and help us lay the bitumen roofing on Thursday so we only have today and tomorrow to finish preparing the roof - this concentrated our minds I must say.

Dave started by screwing down the cants and crickets for the skylights while I added a strengthening tape to the plywood joints (it's the stuff used to do joints on plasterboard).

 
12jul1104
12jul1101 12jul1102

Rolling waves of plastic

The nicest part of the morning had been taking the black plastic off the roof for the final time. It's been great at keeping the roof dry (apart from the odd hole) but is a pain to keep in place and handle in the wind....

Now this should give you a clue (and quite frankly it should've been a warning to us too) about what was going to happen next. Just so you know what we're trying to achieve - we have to cover the edge of the roof by .5m and all the way down the berm to 4m all round the roof. This helps to stop water entering via the berm soil.

In our infinite wisdom (??) we'd decided to buy 12x13 metres of new plastic (that's 156m2) in one big sheet and cut a hole out of it. Why we thought this would be the easiest method I just don't know. It may have been ok I suppose if the wind hadn't picked up. But the wind did pick up, in fact it was probably gusting at about 25kph. We ignored all warning signs and unfurled the plastic...well, have you ever been to the theatre and seen how they portray water? Big sheets of fabric held at either side of the stage and being flapped and wiggled to represent waves? All I can say is that we did a pretty good rendition of a wild storm at sea, with black waves reaching 3 metres high or more!

I remember at the time thinking "will I laugh at this later? No I bloody won't", but I am laughing, I wish someone had been there taking a film of it as I'm sure it was funny to watch. Anyway, it wasn't funny at the time. It was a little bit scarey in fact because the wind was blowing the plastic so hard and high tyres were being flung in the air. Eventually I lay down in the middle and Dave slowly rolled it all up. We dumped it in the wheelbarrow and took it downstairs to worry about later when we'd both calmed down.

Gloopy tar - yukey dar!

Having given up on the plastic we started painting the first layer of tar sealer on our beautiful wood roof (sob). It's not quite as bad as I expected it to be, but it's heartbreaking to think of all that lovely cork and plywood being covered in this gloop. Still, we need to make the roof waterproof so needs must.

Below shows our lovely roof before, during and after.

12jul1105
12jul1106
12jul1107



2016bookadvert2.jpg

knitafroliclogo190.png