cba_s0118_header.png
Home
Get Started Book Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
   2 Dec 07
   4 Dec 07
   20 Dec 07
   27 & 30 Dec 07
   24 & 26 Jan 08
   3 April 08
   10 Apr 08
   17 Apr 08
   2 May 08
   9 May 08
   6 June 08
   27 Jun 08
   5 Jul 08
   25 Jul 08
   16 Aug 08
   23 Aug 08
   12 Feb 09
   29 Jan 09
   15 May 09
   Easter 09
   21 May 09
   18 Jun 09
   29 & 30 Jun 09
   19th & 25th Sep 09
   9 July 09
   15 Oct 09
   29 Oct 09
   26 Nov 09
   11 Nov 09
   4 Dec 09
   17 Dec 09
   2 Jan 10
   23 Mar 10
   3 Jun 10
   12 - 17 Jun 10
   24 Jun - 1 Jul 10
   8 Jul - 5 Aug 10
   19 - 26 Aug 10
   2 & 9 Sep 10
   16 Sep - 8 Oct 10
   15 Oct - 19 Nov 10
   15-17 Dec 10
   Feb & 2-4 Mar 11
   17-20 Mar 11
   24 April 11
   5 May 11
   28-30 May 11
   11 Jun 11
   22-25 Jun 11
   30 Jun - 01 Jul 11
   8-15 Jul 11
      8-9 Jul 11
      12 Jul 11
      13 Jul 11
      14 Jul 11
      15 Jul 11
   26 Jul 11
   28-30 Jul 11
   01 & 09 Mar 2012
   19-20 May 2012
   25 May - 3 Jun 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012
   1-8 Jul 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012 cont...
   02 Aug 2013
   April 2016
   August 2016 Water Catch Work
Materials
Questions
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
Diary Time Out
Recipes
Earthship Living
Ethical Fashion Articles
Links
Books
Contact us
LDArt 2016 190.jpg


15 Jul 11

Sleepy heads

It's been a long few weeks, lots of physical work and long, long days. Even so we decided to start even earlier today to try and beat the sun. So we collected Clive at 6.30am - yes, 6.30am, before even the sun was up!!!

When we arrived on site we quickly checked the roof and found puddles of dew, we're hoping when the whole roof is painted these will add to it's water collection potential. Although a steeper pitch might have been better to catch every last drop.

Sand bags to match my eye bags

I forgot to mention yesterday that while I was waiting to paint the bitumen I was filling sand bags ready to edge the roof.

Do you remember all that lovely cork? Well it turned up in huge sacks that simply have to be used for something. So one sleepless night while I was mulling over how to edge the roof without using cement, I remembered the sacks and a web site I'd seen a few years ago showing houses made of sand bags. And then the idea was born. On our way home on Wednesday we stopped at our local friendly grain supplier who was happy to stitch up a few sacks for us. I cut them in half and he stitched them with his special grain sack stitcher. We made long thin sacks which are a perfect size to edge the roof. It needs edging to stop the second berm earth spilling onto it.

WATERPROOFED!!!!!

AT LAST we're waterproof. And the first coat of paint has been done all over and even on the front face and sides.

We've left bitumen hanging over the edges that will later be joined into other roof areas. Also, the front face (below) has been fixed temporarily with a wood batten. Eventually this will have a full wood facia with the bitumen behind.

Bottom: Dave and Clive after a very long day - thank you so much Clive, your experience was invaluable.

15jul1101  
15jul1103

Here are all the stages - you can see what I meant now about Black and White and Red all over - ish.

The white needs 2 more coats at least, but we're chuffed to bits to have done this much.

12jul1105
13jul1101
14jul1106
15jul1102




2016bookadvert2.jpg

knitafroliclogo190.png