cba_s0118_header.png
Home
Get Started Book Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
   2 Dec 07
   4 Dec 07
   20 Dec 07
   27 & 30 Dec 07
   24 & 26 Jan 08
   3 April 08
   10 Apr 08
   17 Apr 08
   2 May 08
   9 May 08
   6 June 08
   27 Jun 08
   5 Jul 08
   25 Jul 08
   16 Aug 08
   23 Aug 08
   12 Feb 09
   29 Jan 09
   15 May 09
   Easter 09
   21 May 09
   18 Jun 09
   29 & 30 Jun 09
   19th & 25th Sep 09
   9 July 09
   15 Oct 09
   29 Oct 09
   26 Nov 09
   11 Nov 09
   4 Dec 09
   17 Dec 09
   2 Jan 10
   23 Mar 10
   3 Jun 10
   12 - 17 Jun 10
   24 Jun - 1 Jul 10
   8 Jul - 5 Aug 10
   19 - 26 Aug 10
   2 & 9 Sep 10
   16 Sep - 8 Oct 10
   15 Oct - 19 Nov 10
   15-17 Dec 10
   Feb & 2-4 Mar 11
   17-20 Mar 11
   24 April 11
   5 May 11
   28-30 May 11
   11 Jun 11
   22-25 Jun 11
   30 Jun - 01 Jul 11
   8-15 Jul 11
   26 Jul 11
   28-30 Jul 11
   01 & 09 Mar 2012
   19-20 May 2012
   25 May - 3 Jun 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012
   1-8 Jul 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012 cont...
   02 Aug 2013
   April 2016
   August 2016 Water Catch Work
Materials
Questions
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
Diary Time Out
Recipes
Earthship Living
Ethical Fashion Articles
Links
Books
Contact us
LDArt 2016 190.jpg


02 Aug 2013

DSCN5206
Charlie
 

A long day

Charlie, one of our cats, was ill this week. Luckily, after a course of homeopathic treatment he's much better. But we didn't want to leave him overnight so we got up bright and early and headed to the 'ship for a days work, planning to leave there at 9pm. With leaving here at 8am that made for a veeery long day. But we got a lot done.

Skylights

After last weeks, er, hiccup, with one of the skylights we were very careful when cleaning and siliconing in place the other one. As you can see from the photos, the birds have pooped on it already - isn't that meant to be lucky?!!

silicone and glass
Skylight glass siliconed in place

Then we worked on the triangular skylight for the dome. Because it's up so high (and tricky to get up there) we've decided to try out super insulated polycarbonate. It has a square structure filled with about 16 layers for extra insulation and is much lighter than glass. Last week we slightly reworked the wood frame so it fitted flush with the top, then siliconed it in place. This week we cut the metal drip edge flashing and screwed it in place. It needed a bit of jiggery pockery with the corners and we mistakenly siliconed it to seal the edge between the polycarbonate and the metal which was a nightmare to clean. I've just looked at the books and it's not necessary to do this, it just needs silicone along the inside edge, so we won't be doing that on the glass skylights, phew.

polycarbonate sheets
Polycarbonate in skylight
metal flashings
Folded over metal corner

More tyres

A local carpenter came to give us a quote for preparing the front face wooden frame to take the big sheets of glass. He's also going to source the glass. We're hoping to get the order for the glass in before the factory closes for August.

We did get a quote from a different company that we were going to use but they never came back to us with a time to come and measure, so we've had to give up on them.

Anyway, once it had cooled down a bit, we thumped more tyres.

02aug201305

4-5 Aug 2013

Because we only did a day last week (and because Charlie is back to his old self) we decided to do an evening and morning of tyre work, staying overnight so we could work until 9pm when the sun goes down and start at 7am before it comes up.

In just 5 hours (evening and morning) we did 12 tyres, with a 13th prepared and partly filled. This is a record for us. Although the books say you can do 4 an hour this has remained a dream for us. So we're mightily chuffed with an average of nearly 3 an hour! And that includes wheel barrowing the soil from a fair distance away.

On the subject of breaking records, we also managed to get 21 tyres in the boot of the car when we did a trip out to our local garage. Our most before was 18.

tyre walls
tyre walls
The wall taking shape

Darth Vader

I mentioned the Blue Peter style 'shed' we constructed last week without taking any photos of the final thing. So here it is.

As we were coming over the hill I caught a glimpse of it and it so reminded me of a grim reaper figure. A dark and ominous presence - eeek! So instead of dwelling on that I thought I'd name it Darth Vader to give it a, um, cheerier note. I think it's the sloping back that does it, oh and the mass of black of course.

04-05aug201303



2016bookadvert2.jpg

knitafroliclogo190.png