cba_s0118_header.png
Home
Get Started Book Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
   2 May 07
   9th May 07
   17 & 18 May 07
   23 May 07
   30 May 07
   20 June 07
   27 June 07
   5 July 07
   13 Sep 07
   6 Dec 07
   2 & 3 Nov 07
   18 Oct 07
   4 Oct 07
   24 & 25 Sep 07
   20 Sep 07
   10 Jan 08
   17, 18 & 19 Jan 08
   7 Feb 08
   20 Feb 08
   28 Feb 08
   8 Mar 08
   10 Jan 09
   19 Feb 09
   26 Feb 09
   Aug 2013
   Adios my friends
Putting the lid on
Materials
Questions
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
Diary Time Out
Recipes
Earthship Living
Ethical Fashion Articles
Links
Books
Contact us
LDArt 2016 190.jpg


Aug 2013

Hot work

August has been a lovely, hot, snoozy month. Time to be relaxing and enjoying the long hot days with a cool beer in one hand and a good book in the other....

Some hope!

We've been, as usual, working, working, working. Dave has been to the uk for work meetings, I've been doing the drawings for the architect and, of course, in between all that, we've been doing as much as we can to the 'ship hoping that one day soon our ship will sail!

Here's a summary of what we've been doing....

Leveling and trial tiling

The floor of the 'ship, just like most other things, is a bit of an experiment. We'd like to do an oiled mud/lime floor similar to the one we saw in a cave house in Guadix. But I also thought it would be nice (and more hard waring) to use terracota tiles and stone on the bits that will have heavier traffic, like the entrance and kitchen. So, to that end I've been doing a bit of testing to see how it can all work together.

The floor needed leveling first, which meant a lot of taking earth out, then around the column footing we added earth to bring it up (putting plastic around the wood to protect it). The earth at this low level is very limy so we're hoping this will deter little bugs anyway.

terracota tiles
A mix of terracota, stone and blue tiles
Lime and earth oiled floor
Limy earth around the column

Dome skylight and windows

The dome skylight needed a few finishing touches and was then hauled into place. I say hauled because the thing weighs a ton and had to be dragged up the outside of the dome to fit. Took a bit of doing with just Dave and me, but we got there.

We also did the trial for the homemade double glazing on one of the windows. It seems to be working well as there has been no leaks after the rains last week.

Rocks as weights
Wiring in the rock weights
skylights
Dave fitting the hinges on the skylight
triangular windows
Homemade double glazing

Swales and tyres

One of the most important jobs of the summer was getting the tyre enforced swale in place to redirect rainwater away from the 'ship entrance. We were there last Friday when the rains came which helped us see where more leveling and redirecting was needed.

9-10aug201305
Building up the swale
16-17aug201302
Nearly there!
30-31aug201302
A bit more redirecting

Front face drain

We made a good start on the gulley on the front face too.

30-31aug201303

Water tank

And last but not least, we also worked on the 10,000ltr tyre water tank. Well we need somewhere to store all that rainwater we're going to get this autumn!

9-10aug201304
The first of the tyres in place
16-17aug201301
...and a few more

Chumbo picking

...very carefully! These prickly pears are a delicious juicy treat after a hot and dry summer. Just be careful of the spikes.

30-31aug201301
Fire tongs and a knife work well



2016bookadvert2.jpg

knitafroliclogo190.png