cba_s0118_header.png
Home
Get Started Book Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
   2 Dec 07
   4 Dec 07
   20 Dec 07
   27 & 30 Dec 07
   24 & 26 Jan 08
   3 April 08
   10 Apr 08
   17 Apr 08
   2 May 08
   9 May 08
   6 June 08
   27 Jun 08
   5 Jul 08
   25 Jul 08
   16 Aug 08
   23 Aug 08
   12 Feb 09
   29 Jan 09
   15 May 09
   Easter 09
   21 May 09
   18 Jun 09
   29 & 30 Jun 09
   19th & 25th Sep 09
   9 July 09
   15 Oct 09
   29 Oct 09
   26 Nov 09
   11 Nov 09
   4 Dec 09
   17 Dec 09
   2 Jan 10
   23 Mar 10
   3 Jun 10
   12 - 17 Jun 10
   24 Jun - 1 Jul 10
   8 Jul - 5 Aug 10
   19 - 26 Aug 10
   2 & 9 Sep 10
   16 Sep - 8 Oct 10
   15 Oct - 19 Nov 10
   15-17 Dec 10
   Feb & 2-4 Mar 11
   17-20 Mar 11
   24 April 11
   5 May 11
   28-30 May 11
   11 Jun 11
   22-25 Jun 11
   30 Jun - 01 Jul 11
   8-15 Jul 11
      8-9 Jul 11
      12 Jul 11
      13 Jul 11
      14 Jul 11
      15 Jul 11
   26 Jul 11
   28-30 Jul 11
   01 & 09 Mar 2012
   19-20 May 2012
   25 May - 3 Jun 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012
   1-8 Jul 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012 cont...
   02 Aug 2013
   April 2016
   August 2016 Water Catch Work
Materials
Questions
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
Diary Time Out
Recipes
Earthship Living
Ethical Fashion Articles
Links
Books
Contact us
LDArt 2016 190.jpg


14 Jul 11

The final stages

How long have we waited for this day? It must be about a year or more. So we started out bright and early collecting Clive at 7.30am.

As soon as we arrived, well, after I showed Clive around as it's his first time on site, I cut the EPDM into strips ready for placing on the perimeter. It needs to go half on the roof and half on the berm to make the joint between the two stronger. No sooner was it cut than it was in place (bottom left) and being covered by the first roll of bitumen (bottom right).

14jul1101 14jul1102

Then the second roll was positioned and Dave and Clive started joining the two together.

14jul1103

This started to get a bit tricky, and very sticky, as the sun became hotter. We ended up having to stand on boards because the bitumen was so soft it was sticking to our feet.

14jul1104

And then it turned white

As soon as there was enough bitumen joined I started to paint the first coat of the acrylic terrace paint that will make the water from this roof drinkable.

We'd originally planned to do it a sand colour to match the surrounding landscape, but after doing some trials were amazed at how much cooler, and therefore more protective against the sun, the white was.

Below shows the test sheets. The blue is a swimming pool paint which we're relieved we don't have to use - lairy or what?!! The sand is a tint added to the paint we're using and the white was a different make of a similar paint.

 
14jul1105

After leaving these in the sun for a few hours we could hardly touch the blue, the sand was too hot to leave our hand there for more than a second or two and the white was warm and ok to touch. The bits without paint were melting. We were amazed at the difference between the white and sand, we hadn't expected it to be as much as it was.

12jul1103

As the day got hotter and hotter, the bitumen became stickier and harder to handle. Also Dave had a call to do some urgent 'proper' work. So we decided to have lunch and come home.

Below shows the first coat of white just before lunch.

14jul1106



2016bookadvert2.jpg

knitafroliclogo190.png