cba_s0118_header.png
Home
Get Started Book Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
Materials
Questions
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
   12 Apr 12
   20-22 Apr 2012
   11-12 May 12
   7-8 Jun 12
   9-14 Jul 2012
   11-14 Oct 2012
   27-28 Oct 2012
   01 Nov 2012
   8-9 Nov 2012
   14-15 Nov 2012
   5-6 Dec 2012
   13-14 Dec 2012
   11-12 Jan 2013
   16-17 Jan 2013
   01-14 Feb 2013
   March 2013
   01 Mar 2013
   5-6 Apr 2013
   12-13 Apr 2013
   19-20 Apr 2013
   2-3 May 2013
   10-11 May 2013
   16-17 May 2013
Interior
Diary Time Out
Recipes
Earthship Living
Ethical Fashion Articles
Links
Books
Contact us
LDArt 2016 190.jpg


12-13 Apr 2013

Preparation

When we started doing this roof we weren't sure how we were going to finish the windows. We mulled over extending them out beyond the papercrete, insulating right up to the window box edge. But as we've worked we've realised that it might be nicer/better/easier to put the glass onto the wood as is, then shape the papercrete around it. We'll need to redirect water so it runs away from the glass and of course seal it all really well. So that's what we're going to try. This has meant going back to our first window holes and adjusting the sacks and papercrete to allow for the new design.

It's never nice taking away work you've already done, but it has proved how strong and flexible the papercrete is. The two pics below show where we've removed some of the cork from the sacks and cut back the papercrete on two window holes.

12-13apr20131
12-13apr20132

Preparation

Then it was positioning more sacks and tying them in with wire and chicken wire. This preparation took most of Friday.

Which left Saturday to do the papercrete layer and more prep for next week.

12-13apr20133
12-13apr20134

Preparation

Back home I'm shredding more paper and sewing more sacks. Unfortunately my old treadle machine isn't working so it's back to hand sewing. Definitely a job to be done in the sun.




2016bookadvert2.jpg

knitafroliclogo190.png